This blog is dedicated to the sublime instruments called nose flutes and which produce the most divine sound ever. We have chosen to discard all the native models from S. Pacific and Asia, for they need fingering to be played. We'll concentrate on "buccal cavity driven" nose flutes : the well patented and trademarked metal or plastic ones, plus, by a condemnable indulgence, some wooden craft or home-made productions.

Feb 5, 2013

Intermediate plastic Humanatone

Look at these pictures from the norwegian Digitalt Museum... it's a translucent plastic Humanatone! The current Humanatones are stamped on the front with "Trophy Music Co.". Here, you can read "Trophy U.S.A.". The plastic looks like polystyrene, and not polyvinyl chloride, as it is used now.



I suppose this is an intermediate model, between the Gretsch ones and the current Grover-Trophy production. When does it date of? Difficult to say, but probably early. Indeed, the nose flutes sold by the Dr. B. B. Bumstead in the 1990's were already made in PVC and stamped "Trophy Music Co." Since I don't know when Gretsch sold the rights to Grover, I can't be much more precise. Is this nose flute from the 70's?

1 comment:

  1. I have exactly this red translucent one, which was given to me in 1994! I was told it came from the USA and it had been ordered that same year. I have not seen it since, that is until this post.

    I do know that at the time a very similar, more standard nose flute was around, made from stiffer plastic and with primary colours. These were probably of the PVC-type.

    ReplyDelete