My goal is not to forge a Bocarina™, and certainly not to make a market with that (anyway, moulding and casting is much more expensive that buying the original nose flute!). Chris Schuermans had authorized me to experiment with a mould. Indeed, my goal is purely recreational.
[Sequel of the posts Part 1: Hard silicone, Part2: Casting urethane and Part 3: Low temp alloys]
Moulding and Casting - Part 4: Soft silicone
Let's begin by a video:
Well, I wanted to cast a chocolate Bocarina™ for Christmas. And I did it, but it was very difficult.
I began by a test with my hard silicone mould, and it worked... until I tried to unmould the nose flute. The suction effect was so strong that separating the two parts of the mould was enough to break the Boccy. I didn't pour hot chocolate in the mould, because this stuff is far too much viscous to flow down, but I "painted" chocolate in the 2 parts, and then applied one part to the other.
When I opened the mould, the Boccy was in a correct shape. But trying to get it out broke it in pieces.
So I decided to make another mould, with softer silicone, and to use harder chocolate, 85% cocoa! I would put it in the freezer for a nice hardening.
I proceeded the same way, and despite a lower suction effect, I broke many chocolate Boccies.
Finally, after 7 attempts, I was able to unmould an almost perfect nose flute. I glued the insert with... chocolate.
Then I glued a magic mushroom and a Christmas dwarf silver saw! The very funny thing is that the shadow of the flute took the shape of my kitty Patafix, the famous Noseflute.org CEO!
Have all a Merry Christmas!!
To be continued!
On the same topic :
- Moulding and Casting - Part 1: hard silicone
- Moulding and Casting - Part 2: casting urethane
- Moulding and Casting - Part 3: low temp alloys
- Moulding and Casting - Part 4: soft silicone
- Moulding and Casting - Part 5: casting Acrylic