The Reveries is a Toronto trio lead by Eric Chenaux. They used to play post-punk covers of country music, distorted, out of tune and staggering, and have evolved to "sweet Jazz" (well... as distorted:).
« The Reveries sing and play standards – from Cole Porter to Nick Cave. They call what they do sweet jazz. It is, but in an altered state precipitating an altered state. This would be hallucinogenic music if hallucinations were real (there are no illusions at work here). This figures – in any setting, all three are insidiously mind-bending musicians. » [rat-drifting.com]
The band is composed of:
Eric Chenaux: vocals, mouth-speaker, electric guitar, harmonica
Ryan Driver: vocals, mouth-speaker, mouth-microphone, quasi-ruler bass, thumbs-reeds
Doug Tielli: vocals, mouth-speaker, electric guitar, nose flute, saw
- Blasé Kisses, 2003.
- Live in Bologna, 2007.
- Matchmakers Vol. 1: The Music of Willie Nelson, 2008.
- Matchmakers Vol 2.: The Music of Sade, 2012.
The Reveries music has clearly evolved with time, towards what they call "sweet Jazz".
You can listen to The Reveries :
- on their MySpace page (I particularly recommend to you December Days, I Let My Mind Wander and I've Just Destroyed The World...)
- on Amazon.fr (strangely not in .us or .ca): Blasé Kisses, Live in Bologna and The Music of Willie Nelson
- on Squidco.com : The Music of Sade
You also can buy the physical CDs :
- at rat-drifting.com for the 3 first ones.
- at squidco.com, for the last one