This blog is dedicated to the sublime instruments called nose flutes and which produce the most divine sound ever. We have chosen to discard all the native models from S. Pacific and Asia, for they need fingering to be played. We'll concentrate on "buccal cavity driven" nose flutes : the well patented and trademarked metal or plastic ones, plus, by a condemnable indulgence, some wooden craft or home-made productions.

Jun 27, 2012

Mike Pride : Free Jazz nose flute

Mike Pride is a drummer, singer and composer based in New York City. He has played with many many bands. While drumming, he sometimes also plays the nose flute : « YES, at least once a week, in concert ». Mike began with the nose flute when he was 16 or 17 years old.

« Swan, Red & Green from Gewa Nasenflöte. I also used to play a plastic Human-a-tone, but I broke it ». Now, he also owns a Bocarina : « This is great! Has amazing low and mids! ».



« I just played at the Moers Festival in Germany, in May with a trio called I Don't Hear Nothin' But The Blues - primarily as a drummer, but I also play nose flute in the trio, as well. I used my Swan nose flute. No one could figure out what I was playing and some thought the red nose flute was blood streaming from my nose- which is really really cool and hilarious.
I frequently use the nose flute to reach feedback level pitches and to create microtonal pitch modulations. I used play a lot of slide flute, but I find the nose whistle - specifically the Swan - to be a more natural extension of my voice, but with greater range in the upper register.
»

Indeed, Mike's playing is as "free" (Free Jazz?) as the music he performs, and with very rhythmic usage. Here is a video with Mick Barr at the tar, in which you can see hear Mike Pride playing drums and Swan, from 2'07", squeaking and whistling like with a bird call :



---

- visit Mike Pride's website

- Mike Pride's MySpace

- check Mike Pride's Facebook

---

2 comments:

  1. An honor to be part of the site, Antoine! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Mike! Thanks to you!

    Antoine

    ReplyDelete